30/09/2016

Able vs Capable

It's been a while, I know... but WORD WARS is BACK!! :) :)

The difference between able and capable came up in a conversation I was having with my cousin yesterday and so I thought: "What a Great Opportunity to feature these two words in a Word War!!!" ;) ;)

Here it is...

So... what's the difference between able and capable?

If you look up able in the dictionary it says it means capable and if you look up capable it says it means able!! (I am able = I am capable = I can)
Basically, they both mean that you have the ability and skill to do something, BUT there is a difference.

They are both adjectives and here's the big difference...
I am able to do something
whereas
I am capable of doing something


Able is always used with be + infinitive and Capable is always used with be + of + -ing.
Again, they both mean 'can'  BUT  you can't interchange them because it is always able to and capable of  (You can't say able of or capable to!)!

Here are some examples:

With some hard work, I believe we will be able to improve the situation.
With some hard work, I believe we are capable of improving the situation.

I don't think she's lazy. She has the ability to get the work done.
I don't think she's lazy. She has the capability of getting the work done.

They might be able to fool the judge, but I don't think they will be capable of fooling the entire jury!

If we are able to think reasonably, then I believe we are also capable of acting responsibly!

I am able to speak English well and I am capable of giving correct instructions.


Do you see the difference?

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!! :) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment