01/07/2016

Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day!!

On July 1st 1867 a federation was born with the unity of the British North America provinces of Canada.

Canada Day is Canada's birthday, celebrating the enactment of the Constitution Act 1867 in which all colonies were united into one single country called Canada, under the British Empire.

The holiday of July 1st was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day, later becoming Canada Day on October 27th 1982.

In 1980, a formula was developed whereby the federal government sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada and since 1985, committees have been established in each province and territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations locally.


A lesser known fact: The name Canada is generally accepted as coming from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word 'kanata', meaning 'village'!!

So... my fellow Canadians, Happy Canada Day!!! Enjoy the celebrations across the country. And from now on I will proudly state that my village is Canada! :) :)

Happy July everyone! ;) ;)



1 comment:

  1. Great share! I found this site that offers writing services to help you write an excellent essay. It is so helpful and I wish I had discovered it sooner. Check it out for yourself. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete