07/06/2017

Informal Letter B1

Hello everyone!

As promised, I have prepared my first Writing post WITH a model answer for you.  😁

I've decided to start at level B1, which is Upper Intermediate. This level of writing is usually expected from exams like the IELTS General examination (Task 1) and it's good preparation for developing skills to conquer more advanced informal letter writing for the B2 level (where more complex vocabulary is needed).

Let's begin!😊

Always make sure you read the task carefully and that you do exactly what is expected from you.
Read the task below.

Your English friend is coming to visit you for a month. She/he likes running and asks you whether she/he could go running in your town. Write an e-mail and inform her/him about the following:
  • where you can go running in your town
  • would you go running with her/him and why
  • what sports you like and why
  • what other sports your town offers (e.g. swimming, tennis, etc.)

Usually writings should be 150-200 words, so make sure you edit your work and be within the word limit. This is a letter (e-mail) to a friend, so it should be fun and easy.
It's pretty straight-forward, isn't it?
Here's the model I've written:

Dear Julie,

I'm so excited that you're coming to visit! I can't wait to see you! We're going to have so much fun! You asked me whether you could go running in my town and I'm happy to say that YES you can!!

We've got three lovely parks in our town, all with special paths for running and jogging! You're going to love running here! The best thing is that one of the town's parks is just two blocks away from my house! I walk through it often and sometimes even have lunch there! All the parks have benches and picnic tables and the big park, in the centre of town, has a small lake, too!

You know I'm no good at running, so I don't know if I'll be joining you there! The only sports I can play are volleyball and ping-pong because not much running is involved! Volleyball is more of a team sport and I like being part of a team. I used to play more when I was in school. I also like playing ping-pong, which isn't much of a team game, but it's still great fun!
Our town has got many sporting facilities, like courts for basketball and tennis and there's even a public swimming pool!

Let me know if you need anything and don't forget to bring your camera!

See you soon,

Amy xx

This letter is a little over 200 words. It wasn't that difficult, was it? It's informal and friendly and all the points have been mentioned. Little bits of extra information have been added to show interest and grammatical+vocabulary range. It's not a very complex letter, but it's to the point.
Now it's your turn. 


Seriously.

If you'd like to practice and don't have someone to look over your work, I'm here to assist you! I'd love to see your letters in the comments and I'd be happy to give you feedback. If you don't want to post your letter in the comments, you could always e-mail it to me using the Contact Me! form on the left. 😄👍

My next writing post will be a B1 level letter again, but a formal one. 
And each post after that will follow the same strategy and level up as I go. 
Stay tuned! The levels will reach up to C2! (Proficiency level)

Have a wonderful Wednesday! 😎😎


No comments:

Post a Comment