10/03/2016

Use your Phrasal Verbs!

Hi English Learners!

So... let's not forget to use Phrasal Verbs!

I came across this web page today and it had this image that is very cool and fun with phrasal verbs!

http://languagelearningbase.com/88976/phrasal-verbs-come-put-go-take

Take a look!!
Also, don't forget that most English Language books (usually in the accompanying Workbooks or Companion books) have a list of Phrasal Verbs with their meanings.

Instead of trying to just learn their meanings off by heart, create sentences that you can relate to, to help you remember what they mean.

For example,

What does "Break Off" mean?

Literally it means to break something off of something.
e.g. I broke off a piece of chocolate and ate it.

As a phrasal verb though, it means to stop - to discontinue.
e.g. I broke off my engagement. We are no longer together.

Another example.

What does "Put down" mean?

Literally, to put something down means to place something you're holding, down onto a surface.
e.g. He put down his coffee cup on the table. / She put the baby down for a nap.

As a phrasal verb though, it is used for people: to put somebody down, and it means to criticize them or make someone feel unimportant.
e.g. My boss always puts me down. I've really had enough... I think I'm going to quit!

Here's a list https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/phrasal-verbs-list.htm where you can find all the phrasal verbs you can imagine, with useful examples in use.

www.englishclub.com is another great site to help you out with English!

No excuses, learners. Use those Phrasal Verbs correctly!! :) :)







No comments:

Post a Comment